Later buildings and names: Geelong and District Hospital, Kitchener Memorial, Geelong Hospital.
Further information on the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum can be found on Fred Walter's web site.
Timeline [details from Geelong Hospital Library, Annual Reports and From Infirmary to Hospital by John E McClelland].
|1849||Committee formed to establish a public hospital in Geelong|
|1850||Foundation stone laid: Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum|
|1852||Building officially opened 23rd April and First patient admitted 30th April.
This building was the central block shown in the first photo above.
|1856||East and west wings added|
|1874||Verandah extensions added to east and west wings|
|1896||School of Nursing established|
|1922||Foundation stone laid: Geelong and District Hospital (Kitchener Memorial)|
|1923||February - inmates moved from Benevolent Asylum and moved to Ballarat Benevolent Asylum
|1924||New Geelong and District Hospital opened|
|1929||Block containing kitchens and dining rooms opened|
|1931||Nurses' home opened|
|1933||New theatre block opened|
|1934||Geelong Hospital Nurses' League established|
|1940||Kardinia House opened
Josephine Kenny Wing of nurses home opened
|1943||Infectious Diseases Hospital opened|
|1945||Interim accommodation provided for Ambulance Service|
|1949||Accommodation for nursing staff working in infectious wards (Myers
Extension to theatres to accommodate blood bank
|1950||First floor of infectious diseases hospital allocated for tuberculous patients|
|1951||Ward 7 constructed to accommodate maternity patients
Hearne Wing of nurses home opened
|1954||Baxter House opened|
|1956||Pathology building opened|
|1957||Grace McKellar House opened for the accommodation of the aged|
|1959||New School of Nursing erected to the east of the infectious wards building|
|1962||New boiler house and workshops|
|1964||Temporary building for outpatient services opened
Mary De Garis library established
Infections Diseases Ward renamed Bellarine House
|1965||Kardinia House extension opened
Pathology department building extension including blood bank opened
|1966||Name changed to "The Geelong Hospital"|
|1969||Building of modern multi-storey hospital commences|
These reports have been generously provided by Geelong Hospital Library for the benefit of researchers using the Geelong and District web site. At this stage the Annual Reports are fully text searchable within each report but cannot be searched via the search box on this web page or via indexes. The Annual Report files are between 1Mb and 3Mb.
A few patients are mentioned in the 1852 report however the majority of names mentioned relate to staff, officials and subscribers. The subscription lists expand over the years to include employees of companies and inhabitants of small towns / communities making donations to the organisation.
The Annual Reports give a great summary of activities and development over the previous 12 months.
|Geelong Infirmary & Benevolent Asylum BYE-LAWS|
|Regulations for the Internal Management of the Institution|
|Hospital Enquiry: The Charges Against Dr. Reid February 1868|
|Index to the Admission Books of the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum
[compiled by Fred Walter and Heather Cox]
Australian Medical Pioneers Index
Members of the Geelong and District Mailing List (and anyone else who wants to volunteer) have decided to index the Annual Reports so they can be added to our Geelong District Potpourri database.
It is not necessary to volunteer for sequential years - you can pick any year that hasn't already been adopted for indexing.
PAGE NUMBERS to be used - use the Acrobat file (.pdf) page number as the reference number as the actual printed Annual Report page numbers are not consistent.
Years to be adopted for indexing
Years already adopted by a volunteer for indexing
Indexing has been completed for years in bold red - they are now included in the Potpourri Database