Geelong and District

...covering local and family history in the greater Barwon region

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Geelong and District Timeline History of Geelong

Timeline history of Geelong

E-mail Print

Many of these entries were extracted from "Geelong events in history 1802 - 1972" by David J. Davies

 

 
1802 Lieutenant John Murray R.N. discovered and explored Corio Bay
1802 Matthew Flinders explored Corio Bay and climbed the You Yangs
1835 John Batman landed at Indented Head representing members of the Port Phillip Association from Van Diemens Land
1837 Captain Foster Fyans arrived in Geelong as Police Magistrate and protector of Aborigines
1838 First survey plan of Geelong issued
1839 First sale of Geelong town allotments
1839 First mail between Geelong and Melbourne
1840 First ship load of wool for London left from Point Henry
1840 First Post Office established in Barwon Terrace
1840 First issue of the Geelong Advertiser published - it is Victoria's oldest morning newspaper
1840 First stone building in Geelong erected - Strachan's Wool Store
1841 First race meeting in Geelong
1844 First theatre in Geelong opened
1848 First Barwon Bridge was built
1849 Town of Geelong incorporated
1850 First meeting of Geelong Town Council held in the Royal Hotel, Malop Street
1851 Bush fires destroyed most of the countryside between Shelford, Barrabool Hills and the Otways - BLACK THURSDAY February 6th
1851 Gold found in the Mt. Bunninyong district
1852 Large floods on the Barwon River washed away the Barwon Bridge
1855 Moorabool Pier constructed - demolished in 1949
1857 Australia's first country railway : Geelong to Melbourne
1857 First wool sales in Geelong
1860 Gas introduced to Geelong
1862 Geelong - Ballarat railway opened
1866 First meeting of the Borough of Steiglitz
1867 Winchelsea Bridge over the Barwon River opened
1869 Clipper "Lightning" burnt on Corio Bay
1870 Severe floods in the Barwon & Moorabool valleys following the great droughts of 1869
1871 Meredith Shire proclaimed
1873 Geelong Footballers changed their colours to the familiar Blue and White stripes
1874 Shire of South Barwon came into being with amalgamation of the Connewarre road district and the Borough of South Barwon
1875 Geelong West proclaimed a Borough
1876 Railway line from Geelong to Winchelsea opened
1877 Railway line from Winchelsea to Colac was officially opened
1879 Railway line between Geelong and Queenscliff opened
1885 King Billy, the last of the Barrabool Tribe died
1888 Electric light seen in Geelong for the first time
1888 First Telephone Exchange in Geelong was opened
1891 Ship "Joseph H. Scammell" wrecked at Torquay
1893 Hopetoun Channel through Corio Bay was opened
1898 Anglesea Hotel destroyed by fire
1902 Electric light lit the streets of Geelong for the first time
1910 Geelong was proclaimed a city
1912 Trams first appeared in the streets of Geelong, Geelong West and Newtown
1912 First automatic telephone exchange in the Southern Hemisphere opened in Geelong
1925 Ford Motor Company commenced operations in Geelong
1926 Tornado struck Highton
1927 Barwon Heads - Ocean Grove Bridge opened
1930 Radio Station 3GL "The voice of Geelong" was on the air for the first time
1938 Geelong & District Centenary Celebrations
1940 Bushfires destroyed practically everything in their path in the Torquay area
1954 Shell Refinery opened at Corio
 


Last Updated on Friday, 22 May 2009 11:38  

Geelong district events

<< November 2017 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
    1  2  3  4  5
  6  7  8  9101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Home Geelong and District Timeline History of Geelong