Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Ocean Grove: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Ocean Grove:-

Pre-European Settlement Area inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802 First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835 William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 + Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 + Area occupied by squatters
1854 William Henry BONSEY bought Block 4, Section 22 in the Parish of Bellarine. Sale of allotments in subdivision called Kingston on the Sea (subdivision failed)
1880 Wesleyan Camp Meeting held at Point Lonsdale - the land owned by BONSEY identified as a suitable site for a permanent Camp Meeting location.
1887 Block 4, Section 22 purchased by James GRIGG and Charles JAMES, subdivided into 2217 lots which were promoted & sold to the Wesleyan community. A covenant was place on the entire subdivision banning alcohol.
1887 Coffee Palace built (later to be known as Ocean Grove House, Green Gables, The Chalet)
1888 Coffee Palace opened in January with a Camp Meeting and church service. Land sales continued throughout 1888.
c.1888 Connewarre House built (later to be known as Mafeking House, Embla Hotel, Cath-Kin)
1888 Wesleyan Church built by NIELSON & GUILLE
1888 - 1891 House & Corner Store built and run by Marcus GUILLE (later known as FOYSTER's, MENZIES', VERTIGAN's, SKINNER's, Ocean Grove Newsagency)
1890 School opened
1896 St Peter's Church built
1910 Public Hall relocated to Ocean Grove
1924 Grant's Lookout built & electricity came to the Grove
1927 Bridge over Barwon River built and Ocean Grove fishing fleet forced to move to Barwon Heads
1936 25 Boathouses moved from Barwon Heads to Ocean Grove
1950's Post war immigration from Europe
1958 Ocean Grove proclaimed a township
1969 The Chalet (Coffee Palace) demolished
1982 Cath-Kin (Mafeking House) demolished
1991 Grant's Lookout demolished
1991 - 92 Public Hall demolished

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 02:39  

Geelong district events

<< June 2017 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930