The name Newcomb was adopted to honour Caroline Newcomb who with her partner Ann Drysdale had established the 'Boronggoop' and 'Coriyule' runs on the Bellarine Peninsula and were referred to as the "Lady Squatters".
The area was established early in the history of the Peninsula, however the name was only adopted by the Shire of Bellarine in 1956. Prior to that time the area was variously known as East Geelong and West Moolap. Today, Newcomb is bounded to the west by Boundary Road and to the east by Coppards Road. (1)
One site of significance identified in the recent Bellarine Heritage Study is the house at No. 68 Portarlington Road. "This house is believed to have been built as a manager's house for Cheetham Saltworks in the 1890s. ... The Saltworks were a major employer in the region." (2)
For history of the area prior to the naming of Newcomb, the history of Moolap should be consulted.
- Ian Wynd, Balla-wein : A history of the Shire of Bellarine, Shire of Bellarine, Drysdale, 1988, p. 161.
- Huddle, Howe, Lewis, Francis, Bellarine Heritage Study : Volume Three - Culturally Significant Places, City of Greater Geelong, 1996, Record No. 165.
Record Sources for Newcomb
- Photographs : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre; various private collections.
- Maps & Plans : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- Newspapers : Geelong Advertiser Indexes - Bellarine Historical Society & Geelong Historical Records Centre; Geelong Advertiser on microfilm - Geelong Historical Records Centre; various local newspapers - Bellarine Historical Society.
- Miscellaneous Documents & Advertisements : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre; various private collections.
- Bellarine Shire Council Records : Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- More recent Council Records : City of Greater Geelong.
- Cemetery Records : (Geelong & Leopold Cemeteries) Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- Land Records : Registrar of Titles, Melbourne; Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
Brownhill, Geo. H. Illustrated Guide to Geelong And District, Facsimile edn., Deakin University Press, Geelong, 1990.
Campbell, A. J. Tourist Guide to Geelong and Southern Watering Places, Henry Thacker, Geelong, 1893.
Richardson, John. The Lady Squatters : Miss Anne Drysdale and Miss Caroline Elizabeth Newcomb : 'Boronggoop' and 'Coriyule', Bellarine Rural City Council, Drysdale, 1986.
Wynd, Ian. Balla-wein : A history of the Shire of Bellarine, Shire of Bellarine, Drysdale, 1988.
Wynd, Ian. Geelong The Pivot : A Short History of Geelong and District, Cypress Books, Mont Albert North, 1971.