Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Newcomb: Street Names

E-mail Print
The following history of street names is reproduced from the Investigator with the kind permission of W. J. (Bill) Morrow and the Geelong Historical Society. Note : please remember that the Investigator began more than 30 years ago, therefore some names and buildings have since disappeared into history.

In the late 1920s or early 1930s, a Geelong syndicate purchased a tract of land immediately east of Boundary Road with the intention of establishing a coursing track using the new "tin hare" lure. A change of plans caused the land to be sold and subdivided for housing purposes; but the principal streets took the names or family associations of syndicate members.

Acton CourtMrs. Lancaster's maiden name was Edith Acton. (Details provided by Mrs. L. Ellis of Greensborough, a daughter of the subdivider.) See Lancaster Avenue.
Adzar RoadAdzar is a place name synonymous with the Belcher family, an early family home of which was Adzar, Brassey Avenue, Highton which still stands. The late Alan Belcher, a member of the syndicate, had a home in Newtown of the same name and his nickname was Adzar.
Alma CourtThis was the second Christian name of the subdivider's father - perhaps it has a Crimean War connotation! See Lancaster Avenue.
Anthony StreetNamed after children of Thomas Ralph Warren, L.S. of A. C. Thoms and Partners, both of whom, at some stage, have been employees of the surveying firm.
Atkins StreetNames after Cr. Norman Atkins, of Bellarine Shire, or his family. Atkins service station is nearby. The Emu Hotel was said to be on or near the site in years gone by.
Boronia StreetSee Boronia Estate.
Boronia EstateStreets appropriately bearing plant names were found in this estate.
Carol CourtSister of Herbert Hinchcliff - she married a Mr. P. A. Maude, of Moolap. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Cecil CourtFormerly Charles Court but altered to Cecil to avoid duplication names. Cecil Hinchcliff was a son of Herbert Hinchcliff. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Charles CourtSee Greenwood Street.
Charlotte CourtSee Greenwood Street.
Coppards RoadThe 1906-7 Directory shows the name of T. Coppard, Moolap. Thomas Frederick Coppard had 40 acres of land fronting Queenscliff and Coppards Roads and his old family home is still to been on the corner of these roads.
Coulter StreetJ. A. C. Coulter was solicitor for the Eastern Park Estate, the main street of which became Coulter Street.
Dorcas StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Dorcas Jellie who worked at Mr. Henley's office and who provided the Henley street names information.
Dorward AvenueThe late George Osborne Dorward, who was a retired grazier, bought several farmlets near Wilson's Road and finally subdivided them . He gave his name to the principal thoroughfare.
Fern StreetSee Boronia Estate.
Ferry GroveName of the purchaser of the first piece of the Hinchcliff Estate to be sold. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Frances StreetShown in street directories as Francis; however, it is part of the Hinchcliff Estate and named after Frances, daughter of Herbert Hinchcliff. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Gail StreetNamed after children of Thomas Ralph Warren, L.S. of A. C. Thoms and Partners, both of whom, at some stage, have been employees of the surveying firm.
Gibbs CourtLate Richard (Dick) Gibbs, former manager of the Bank of New South Wales, Geelong, subdivided the land.
Glover StreetIn Vol. 8, No. 3 I stated that [this] street was named after Joshua Glover; however, recent research has revealed that Cyrus H. Glover, not Joshua Glover, was one of the "tin hare" syndicate which purchased the land at Newcomb on which the coursing track was expected to be established; no doubt the street is named in his honour.
Greenwood StreetCharles Greenwood was the father of Charlotte Hinchcliff, wife of Joseph Hinchcliff. Charles ran the Nelson's Victory Hotel, South Geelong, and his daughter Charlotte was born in South Geelong in 1840 and lived until she was 91, at which time she was said to be the oldest living native of Geelong.
Helms RoadThe Helms family, George, Jim and Joe, owned a large tract of land in the area and the street now carries the family name. Joe Helms was better known as a Geelong dentist. The family also had Barrabool connections.
Herbert CourtHerbert Hinchcliff was the father of Edward (Chappie) Hinchcliff, a well known Geelong and Geelong West footballer of the 1930s. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Hinchcliff CrescentThis street in the Hinchcliff Estate was named after Joseph Hinchcliff, who last century opened a general store at Plough Hill on the Queenscliff Road (corner of Boundary Road).
Herbert Hinchcliff was owner of the land at the time of its subdivision. He was the son of Joseph Hinchcliff.
Ian CourtOff Dorward Avenue, this court carries the name of Ian Dorward, son of the subdivider.
Ising StreetNamed after Henry Edmond Ising - the father of the present owner of Ising's store, Mr. Terry Ising.
Ivanhoe CourtThe Ivanhoe paddocks were subdivided originally in 1920, the unnamed owner for twenty years then leaving the State - this street was given the estate's name when it was further subdivided in 1951.
Part of a proposed "tin hare" coursing track that did not eventuate, this court carries a coursing name. Although its origins may be earlier, the Grant and Polwarth Coursing Club a century ago ran an annual race for puppies called the Ivanhoe Stakes.
Janet CourtJanet was the name of the first wife of G. O. Dorward, and is remembered here. (Information supplied by Mrs. Dorward, of Ocean Grove.)
Lancaster AvenueThis street bears the name of Edward Lupin Lancaster, who died at Grace McKellar House on December 14, 1976. Arriving from England in 1927, he farmed in the Otways until 1943 when he took property bounded by Wilsons Road, Lancaster Avenue, Nelson Avenue and Queenscliff Road. On subdivision the family name was used for the east-west thoroughfare.
Lindsay StreetMrs. J. T. Lucas was formerly Amelia Lindsay, of Winslow, Warrnambool, and the use of her family name on a subdivisional street was adopted on the suggestion of Mr. Harry Baker, of Union Fidelity Trustee Co. Ltd., who also suggest the name of Newland Street.
Lucas StreetJohn Thomas Lucas lived in "Lindenow", the old family home in Wilson's Road, at its junction with [this] street which now bears his family name. He came from the Warrnambool area and ran a farm in the vicinity of this and Lindsay and Newland Streets prior to subdividing the land.
Lukin CourtStrangely present in a subdivision featuring space-age street names, this street obviously honours the Australian weight-lifting superstar, at the Los Angeles Olympic Games, Dean Lukin, of Port Lincoln, South Australia.
Manton RoadFred Manton, first as a chainman, than as a "man Friday", stayed in the workforce after retiring from Victoria Police, and became a fatherly figure for many years with A. C. Thoms.
Mimosa StreetSee Boronia Estate.
Myrtle AvenueNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Mrs. Henley.
Nelson AvenueThe name of the town in Lancashire where Mr. and Mrs. Lancaster were married and from which they migrated to Australia. See Lancaster Avenue.
Newland StreetMrs. Lilias Newland, of East Geelong, is the daughter of John Thomas Lucas, the subdivider, and she kindly provided the details of the three subdivisional streets.
O'Brien StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Dan O'Brien who worked for Mr. Henley.
Rose CourtSee Boronia Estate.
Tilly CourtYet another Hinchcliff descendant is remembered here - Matilda (Tilly) Hinchcliff, daughter of Herbert. See Hinchcliff Crescent.
Watsons RoadThe "tin hare" syndicate referred to above [Glover Street] purchased "Watson's Paddock" at Newcomb for its coursing track; so it would appear that the above nearby street carries the family name of the vendor of the land.
Wilton AvenueCr. William B. Wilton was for well over 30 years a representative of the Moolap Riding of Bellarine Shire and he also served on the Geelong Waterworks and Sewerage Trust Board for a long period. He lived at "Nangunia", Fenwick. His long record of public service well warranted recognition in the area he served so well.
Wirth CourtNamed after the original owners of a poultry farm on the site of the road off Wilsons Road.

Last Updated on Sunday, 10 May 2009 23:36  

Geelong district events

<< December 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
        1
  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
  9101112131415
16171819202122
232426272829
3031