An extract from Tourists' Guide to Geelong and the Southern Watering Places, published in 1893.
"A favorite resort for excursionists, either from Geelong or Ocean Grove, is the fertile valley of Wallington. There is a hotel, store, and post office in one, and for many it has been found a centre of attraction as a wayside house. The principal place of interest is, however, the famous Wallington Gardens, justly popular for the enormous quantity of strawberries, and other fruits. Picnic parties find this a pleasant resort in the season, and being within six miles of Ocean Grove it forms a very agreeable outing for an afternoon. Some very beautiful views of the Lakes are obtained from this locality. Cobb & Co. supply vehicles of every description at moderate prices, from the cosy two-seated buggy to the heavy American coaches, suitable for parties from six to thirty in number. The usual way in making up such gatherings is to fix the day before who is to go, and gentlemen are generally found staying at the Coffee Palace [Ocean Grove] who willingly make all necessary arrangements whether the destination be Wallington, Drysdale Springs, Point Lonsdale, or boating on the lakes.1"
- A. J. Campbell, Tourists' Guide to Geelong and the South Watering Places, Henry Thacker, Geelong, 1893, p. 46.
[From the Geelong Historical Records Centre and the files of the Bellarine Historical Society]
Record Sources for Wallington
- Photographs : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre; various private collections.
- Maps & Plans : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- Newspapers : Geelong Advertiser Indexes - Bellarine Historical Society & Geelong Historical Records Centre; Geelong Advertiser on microfilm - Geelong Historical Records Centre; various local newspapers - Bellarine Historical Society.
- Miscellaneous Documents & Advertisements : Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre; various private collections.
- Bellarine Shire Council Records : Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- More recent Council Records : City of Greater Geelong.
- Cemetery Records : (Leopold/Kensington Cemetery) Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
- Land Records : Registrar of Titles, Melbourne; Bellarine Historical Society; Geelong Historical Records Centre.
Brownhill, Geo. H. Illustrated Guide to Geelong And District, Facsimile edn., Deakin University Press, Geelong, 1990.
Campbell, A. J. Tourist Guide to Geelong and Southern Watering Places, Henry Thacker, Geelong, 1893.
Brian Kemp, Newington : 125 Years of Christian Witness 1863 - 1988, 1988.
Wynd, Ian. Balla-wein : A history of the Shire of Bellarine, Shire of Bellarine, Drysdale, 1988.
Wynd, Ian. Geelong The Pivot : A Short History of Geelong and District, Cypress Books, Mont Albert North, 1971.