Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Wallington: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Wallington :-

 

Pre-European SettlementArea inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 +Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +Area occupied by squatters
1840Fairfax FENWICK's property "Deep Gully" on the north east shores of Lake Connewarre - later known as Wallington
1853Fenwick's subdivision fronting Queenscliff Road
1855Wallington Hotel - Alfred Pike licencee
1861Wallington Hotel - John Baxter proprietor
1863Fenwick's gully flooded - £50 from Hon. J.M. Grant to cover flood damage
1864Wallington Hotel - Peter Pascoe licencee
1866Peter Pascoe started school with his daughter (a teacher) in a rented wooden building
1868Wallington Hotel - Samuel Coleman licencee
1871
  • S.P. Keam selling thatching grass for buildings
  • Post Office opened at Coleman's store
  • Publican's licence for Shamrock Hotel, Wallington - Samuel Coleman
1872Thomas B. Gibb - "Rugby Park", Wallington
1874Wallington Hotel enlarged, redecorated & refurnished
1875R.Q. McWilliams - Electoral Registrar
1880Alliance Cricket Club formed
1882Cobb & Co advertised - Geelong to Wallington
1883
  • R & A Thomson purchased the Wallington Hotel
  • Death of Fairfax Fenwick
1886David Rhind bought part of "Chevy" Estate
1896Wallington Hotel - George Ashmore licencee
1899Newington School moved to Wallington
1900Wallington School opened in Newington School building moved to present site
1957New school built

Last Updated on Monday, 11 May 2009 06:20  

Geelong district events

<< August 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627293031