The Ocean Grove Surf Life Saving Club commenced after the war in 1948. The club provided an essential service to the growing number of residents and holiday makers bathing and surfing along the Ocean Grove beach.
Miss Gladys Bell donated the first club boat which was named after her.
The "Gladys Bell II" was in use by 1959 when a training exercise was organised with the crew rowing from the Breakwater in Geelong, down the Barwon River to Ocean Grove.
[Photograph courtesy of Bill McKewan, Ocean Grove.]
Members of the Life Saving Club patrol the surf beach near the clubhouse. In the 1990s, the lookout tower was incorporated in a new complex with a beachside restaurant.
More information is currently being collected to expand this history of the Ocean Grove Surf Life Saving Club.
[From the files of the Bellarine Historical Society, and information provided by Bill McKewan, Ocean Grove.]