Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Queenscliff: St George the Martyr Church of England

E-mail Print

The first Church of England services in Queenscliff were held in a timber building which also served as the school.  An appeal was launched in 1858 for a new church which was commenced by 1863.  It was constructed from local limestone.  Albert Purchas, a Melbourne architect, designed medieval Gothic style parish church.  It was opened in February 1864, consecrated in January 1868, and completed in 1878 with the addition of the tower.

Queenscliff: St George the Martyr Church

St George The Martyr, Church of England
  

Some distinguished people have been associated with St George The Martyr Church - the site was chosen by Lieutenant Governor C.J. LaTrobe and Judge Thomas Fellows was the principal benefactor.  In February 1876, Justice Fellows gave a lecture at the Forester's Hall in Queenscliff in aid of the building fund for the church tower.  The Governor was staying at the Royal Hotel at the time and attended the lecture.

Over the years, Queenscliff has developed as a cultural centre with an emphasis on historical and musical activities.  St George The Martyr has hosted the Cologne New Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra and hopes to be involved in future musical events.  In 1996, the Church was offered an 1871 George Fincham organ.  A Restoration Appeal was launched for this magnificent organ.


Last Updated on Monday, 11 May 2009 06:02  

Geelong district events

<< August 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627293031