Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Leopold: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Leopold :-

Pre-European SettlementArea inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 +Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +Area occupied by squatters
1845Frontage to Bay in private hands
1851 "Clevedon" Estate - Samuel Bawtree
1852Kensington subdivision

Connewarre Estate

Church Services held in Brinsmeads & Barker Houses

18541st April - 1st school at Kensington (denominational)
18581st Post Office on Queenscliff Road
1859Foundation stone of St Mark's Church of England
1860Primitive Methodist Church on Melaluka Road - land given by Henry & Margaret Barker
1862George Elliotts "Help Me Through The World" Hotel on Portarlington Road
1869Thomas Sutterby School Correspondent applied for land for Common School
1872Foundation stone laid for brick School - opened May 21st
1872Leopold Pound on Melaluka Road
1873Most land fenced - a good deal under crop
1880Sons of Temperance Hall on Queenscliff Road
1882Kensington, Moolap, Curlewis Free Library build - land given by G F Belcher
1885Name changed to Leopold because of mail going to Kensington, Melbourne
1885Post Office rebuilt after being destroyed by fire
1886Leopold Rifle Club formed
1892School name changed to Leopold
1893Free Library burnt down - rebuilt same year
1895Primitive Methodist Church destroyed by fire in March - rebuilt and re-opened in August the same year
1900Primitive Methodist Church moved from Melaluka Road to top of Leopold Hill (present site)
1900Independent Order of Rechabites & Benefit Lodge formed
1904New Leopold School built
1904Rifle Club formed
1914½ acre opposite school for new 4 roomed teacher's residence
1914Leopold Red Cross formed
1914Brass Band - conductor Robert Bowman
1918Leopold Tennis Club formed
1923Electricity connected to Leopold
1923Moving pictures shown in Leopold Hall
1927Mr Henry Barker given option on old Church block in Melaluka Road
1930Extensions to Leopold Public Library
1930Leopold & Wallington Fruit Growers Association - 1st show in Leopold Hall, July
1948/49Leopold Cricket Club and Leopold Football Club formed
1959Moolap Methodist Church moved from Whitehorse Road to Leopold Methodist Church site
1966Post Office moved to Ash Road

Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 May 2009 03:11  

Geelong district events

<< August 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627293031