Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Drysdale: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Drysdale :-

Pre-European SettlementArea inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 +Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +Area occupied by squatters
1843 Anne Drysdale & Caroline Newcomb take up land at Coriyule
1848 Alexander McLarty opens "Black Bull" Hotel
1849
  • Free Presbyterian school opened
  • Anne Drysdale & Caroline Newcomb move into Coriyule although the homestead was not quite completed
1851 Bellarine (later Drysdale) laid out by Government Surveyor
1852 Bucks Head Hotel opened
1853
  • Anne Drysdale died at Coriyule
  • Catholic Church school opened
1854Church of England school opened
1855Tuckfield Chapel built
1863Foundation stone laid for Drysdale Wesleyan Church
1868Coriyule House plus 80 acres of grazing land advertised to be let
1871Foundation stone of St. James Church of England laid by Bishop Perry. Foundations completed 18/11/1871
1872
  • Drysdale Jetty proposed by Bellarine Shire
  • Cobb & Co mail coaches commenced to Curlewis, Drysdale, Portarlington & Queenscliff, Sundays excepted
  • St. James Church opened by Bishop of Melbourne
  • First piles driven at Drysdale Jetty
  • Ketch "James & Amelia" broke up in a gale off Drysdale : it had been wrecked in a storm 13/9/1872
  • Name of McLeod's Waterholes changed to Lake Lorne
1873Drysdale Jetty completed
1874
  • Roman Catholic school at Drysdale closed because authorities had refused to lease the building to the Education Department
  • Rev. James Tuckfield appointed as Minister of Wesleyan Church
1875Drysdale State School started on land next to St. James Church of England : school completed 9/7/1875, opened 2/8/1875, amalgamating the church schools
1876
  • Temperance Hall opened
  • Colonial Bank established
1879
  • Tender accepted for construction of Drysdale Railway Station
  • Wooden Council Chambers to be replaced with a new brick building which would also house the Court of Petty Sessions
  • Electric telegraph established at Drysdale
1880Foundation stone laid for new Shire Hall & Court House : opened 28/10/1880
1881
  • Kerbing of Drysdale streets proceeding
  • New Free Library completed : opened 6/10/1881
1882Light snow fell for the first time
1885
  • Wesleyan Parsonage erected opposite the church
  • 18 Ton weighbridge erected near Drysdale Railway Station
1887New Wesleyan Church under construction
1888Rev. J D Dodgson sells Coriyule
1889New telephone service between Drysdale & Clifton Springs opens
1890Scarborough Railway Station near Drysdale closed
1891United Service Home opened in Drysdale
1897Mr. McDermott purchased Coriyule Estate

Last Updated on Sunday, 10 May 2009 15:13  

Geelong district events

<< August 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627293031