Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Murradoc: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Murradoc :-

Pre-European SettlementArea inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 +Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +Area occupied by squatters
1847William Harding's pre-emptive right of 640 acres encompassing Murradoc Hill
1852 JunFirst rural subdivision in Parish of Bellarine - 480 acres near Murradoc Hill were offered in farms up to 40 acres in size
1860 JunChurch of England school - Joseph Ball, Head Teacher
1873Mr & Mrs Lloyd - school teachers
1879A.P. Burness running the Sunday School
1881
  • J.F. Levien's farm at Murradoc
  • Tenders called for building of a timber school to accommodate 60
1882School No. 417 opened
1899Miss C Stapleton was a teacher at Murradoc State School
1910Murradoc described as a farming district with a coach to Drysdale and a post office - John McRae being the postmaster
1931School No. 417 closed


Last Updated on Sunday, 10 May 2009 23:27  

Geelong district events

<< December 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
        1
  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
  9101112131415
16171819202122
232426272829
3031