Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Moolap: Street Names

E-mail Print

The following history of street names is reproduced from the Investigator with the kind permission of W. J. (Bill) Morrow and the Geelong Historical Society. Note : please remember that the Investigator began more than 30 years ago, therefore some names and buildings have since disappeared into history.

Albert StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Albert Eldridge who worked for the subdivider.
Alice StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Alice Fischer who also worked in Mr. Henley's office.
Anomaly StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after a racehorse owned by Mr. Henley.
Caledonia StreetThis is the sole remaining original name of the old Gretna Green Estate and has the necessary Scottish flavour.
Carol CourtCarol Greenwood, born 1852, was the daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Greenwood of Nelson's Victory Hotel, South Geelong. See Hinchcliff Estate.
Chipperfield DriveA name linked for many years with Brown Gouge, dry-cleaners, and the Geelong West Cricket and Football Club; but in a romantic moment Frank Chipperfield's son-in-law-to-be made sure of the perpetuation of the name which was soon to change to Jones.
Cooney RoadPatrick and John Cooney farmed in the vicinity of the street before and after the turn of the century. Patrick's farm in the 1880s and 1890s was in an area known as Rochetown - an unsuccessful sub-division sold off in 1875. The latter was stated to be near the toll gate on the Queenscliff Road and ran through to the Portarlington Road.
Craig RoadJohn Craig, who lived near Moolap railway station, was a pioneer in the production of flax in the Geelong area; his farm was known as Flax Farm.
Denbigh StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after Denbigh Avenue., Armadale, Melbourne, where Mrs. Henley once lived.
Earle RoadHenry Earle was a farmer living in the vicinity of Moolap railway station for several decades last century, so this road presumably perpetuates his family name.
Essex StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after the subdivider's new car.
Francis AvenueThis subdivision was made on behalf of the estate of the late Mrs S.F. McAllister, apparently a relation of the Hinchcliff and Greenwood families. Maybe her husband was named Francis? See Hinchcliff Estate.
Grinter StreetThis street carries the name of a pioneering family of Moolap which is still well represented in Geelong. Specifically, perhaps, the names of Charles and Leah Grinter or a descendant are remembered here - Charles was a farmer in the area.
Herbert CourtHerbert Hinchcliff was a son of Joseph Hinchcliff who ran the store on Plough Hill at the corner of Queenscliff and Boundary Roads. See Hinchcliff Estate.
Hinchcliff EstateThis large housing estate appeared for the first time in the Geelong Advertiser of April 23, 1949, and all the streets appear to be named after the Hinchcliff and Greenwood families who were related by marriage.
Kildorary StreetOnce again this is the only remaining street of the early Rochetown subdivision, which took over the balance of the Doneraile Estate. No doubt the name has an association with the origins of the subdivider, Edmund Roche, a Geelong publican.
Knapp RoadThomas Knapp, once the proprietor of the Ship Inn, Pt. Henry, became a farmer at Moolap and probably died there. A Mr. R. Knapp (probably a descendant) still lives in the area - no doubt the family name if preserved in this street.
Nobility StreetNamed by the subdivider, Mr. Henley (Henley Parker) - after a racehorse owned by Mr. Henley.
Roxanne PlaceThis industrial estate street off Queenscliff Road has no reference to any particular person; the subdivider, John Major, says it was merely selected as a name likely to attract purchasers of the land. In spite of its anonymity, it is still necessary to explain that fact for posterity.
Tilly CourtShort for Matilda Greenwood, another daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Greenwood, of South Geelong. See Hinchcliff Estate.
Twitt's RoadThe name of Joseph Twitt first appeared in the Directory of 1882-3, address Moolap, and succeeding directories added the names of John and Thomas. Joseph Twitt was well-known to travellers on the Queenscliff Road as he had a blacksmith's forge somewhere near Twitt's Road.

Last Updated on Sunday, 10 May 2009 23:22  

Geelong district events

<< September 2021 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
    1  2  3  4  5
  6  7  8  9101112