Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Clifton Springs: Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Clifton Springs :-

Pre-European SettlementArea inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 +Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +Area occupied by squatters
1853 - 54 Bellarine Flour Mill established
1868 Clifton, Drysdale : the residence of Thomas Bates
1870 Mineral Springs found on property of Thomas Bates near Drysdale
1871
  • Steamer "Kangaroo" to make excursion trips to Clifton Mineral Springs during Easter holidays
  • Oyster bed established in the shallows at Clifton Springs
  • Ploughing match at Green Vale Farm
1872
  • Michael O'Shea applied for Colonial Wine License at "Clifton"
  • Temporary license granted to Collins for Clifton Mineral Springs
1875
  • Summer house style building erected over one of the mineral springs
  • Bottling of Clifton Springs spa water commenced
  • Sale of 18 allotments near Clifton Springs
1876Meeting at "Bucks Head", Drysdale, to form a Clifton Springs Company
1877
  • "S.S. Jaffa" commenced running to Clifton Springs
  • Woodward's Coachworks held first employees picnic to Clifton Springs
  • "S.S. Athletic" begins running twice a week between Portarlington, Clifton Springs (Drysdale) & Melbourne : 5/- single, 8/- return
18786 roomed house erected above Clifton Springs to accommodate visitors
1879Publican's license granted to D. O'Leary at Clifton Springs
1880Provisional directors form Clifton Mineral Springs Company
1881Application for license for 12 room hotel at Clifton Springs
1884Application for license for 16 room hotel at Clifton Springs
1886Clifton Sea Mineral Springs Company formed
1887Contract allotted for erection of Clifton Springs Hotel at a cost of £4000
1889Schooner "Georgina Smith" the first vessel to use the new Clifton Springs Jetty
1890Hot sulphur baths at Clifton Springs
1893Clifton Springs Hotel in 30 acres of land with Mineral Springs and a 2,160 foot Jetty was for auction : 11/9/1893
1897
  • Rifle Range near Clifton Springs updated by Defence Department
  • 16 room wooden cottage attached to Clifton Springs Hotel destroyed by fire
1900Clifton Springs Hotel sold to T.B. Nunan on Melbourne

Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 May 2009 03:11  

Geelong district events

<< December 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
        1
  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
  9101112131415
16171819202122
232426272829
3031