Bellarine Historical Society Inc

...preserving the history of the Bellarine Peninsula

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Bellarine (Town): Timeline

E-mail Print

Some events in the history of Bellarine :-

Pre-European Settlement Area inhabited by Bengalat balug (Clan) of the Wathaurong Tribe
1802 First European explorers.
January : Lieutenant John Murray
April : Captain Matthew Flinders
1803 - 1835 William Buckley the first European living in the area
1835 + Area investigated and surveyed by Wedge and Gellibrand
1836 +
  • Area occupied by squatters
  • The location today known as Bellarine was formerly named East Bellarine (to distinguish it from Drysdale which was known as Bellerine)
1854 Free Presbyterian Church School - Angus McLeod was Head Teacher
1855 May Church of England School opened - school master Charles Streeton
1858 Mechanics' Institute established and accumulated a large and valuable library - forced to share the Presbyterian School
1859 Post Office under the charge of the schoolmaster, Mr. Sheahan. When the Post Office first opened it was run by C.H. Streeton, father of the artist Arthur Streeton - it operated on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 5.30 pm
1861 New Presbyterian Church School built - brick on stone foundation and with a slate roof
1862 Church of England School closed.  The building continued to be used as a church for some years
1865 Population 350
1865 Oct Foundation stone laid for Wesleyan church and school
1868 Farmers' Arms Hotel existed until 1870.  Ancient Order of Foresters established here
1870 Substantial building erected for Mechanics' Institute
1871 East Bellarine Cricket Club established
1872 Tenders called for foundations for a new church
1873 Jan Free Presbyterian Church opened - built of Portarlington Bricks
1873 Oct Church of England school re-opened
1873
  • Bellarine had a rural store, post office and blacksmith's shop, and a "political shoemaker from Ashby, whose presence has enlivened many an election meeting"
  • Church School taken over by the Education Department as School No. 231 - average attendance was 67
  • East Bellarine Cricket Club and the Portarlington Cricket Club amalgamated to form the Bellarine Cricket Club
1874 Apr Church of England school officially recognised as School No. 1415 - 36 pupils
1875 Sparrow Club formed - its aim was to reduce the destruction of barley crops
1877 School No. 1415 - new school built and opened
1892 School No. 231 closed
1906 Christ Church reopened as a church until 1911
Last Updated on Friday, 30 October 2009 04:37  

Geelong district events

<< November 2018 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
26272930