Databases and Indexes

...plenty to choose from

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home All Databases About the Pot-pourri DB Pot-pourri indexes Murroon: State School No. 940 pupil register [VPRS 4123]

Murroon: State School No. 940 pupil register [VPRS 4123]

E-mail Print
 
   
Source of Index Members of the Geelong Family History Group
Source and/or Location of Records
  • Murroon School No. 940: pupil register (1910-1934) [most but not all entries are from this register]
  • Public Record Office Victoria, North Melbourne
  • VPRS 4123 / P1 Unit 1
Explanation of Fields
  • NAME: Name of student
  • DATE: Date of register / list
  • PLACE: Murroon
Completed Index? YES 
Number of entries Updated: 1st January 2012
  • 187 entries
About Murroon State School No. 940

A public meeting was called in October 1867 to discuss the possibility of building a common school in the district.  Up until this time a teacher was paid by parents to teach the children in private houses.  As this proved inconvenient, the residents of the district asked the Board of Education for permisson to erect a school.

When the community began talking of erecting a school there were 63 childrenin the district who could attend.  Many children walked from Pennyroyal, Barwon Downs and Gerangamete to come to the only school in the district.

Mr Henry O'Neill held the first classes in the building on the morning of 1 July 1868.  Mr O'Neill had come from Gherang Gherang National School 'after having founded several other schools in the colony'.  He taught at Murroon from 1868 until 1870, under an agreement with the school committee.  Shortly after he began teaching, his pay from the Board of Education was stopped because he lacked the necessary qualifications for a teacher at that time.  He remained at the school unpaid until he left in 1870.

In 1876 Mr L A Gilbert wrote to the Board of Education asking for the school to be fenced in.

The original shingled roof didn't prove a great success.  It was eventually suggested in 1879 that the children be supplied with umbrellas or that teachers be trained in resuscitation of the drowning!  An iron roof was put over the shingles soon after.

In 1879, the teacher, Mr John Brice, indicated to the newly formed Education Department that he would build a residence himself if the Department could reimburse him at a later date.  However it was 30 years before any concrete moves were made by the Education Department.

Search Geelong & District Database
 

Last Updated on Sunday, 01 January 2012 06:04  

Geelong district events

<< August 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627293031 

Home All Databases About the Pot-pourri DB Pot-pourri indexes Murroon: State School No. 940 pupil register [VPRS 4123]