Lovely Banks: Primary School No. 1497 1913-1953 [GRS 1063]

Source of Index GFHG and GDHA members - GFHG Document B/SCH/35

Further details of many of these database indexes may be available through the Geelong Family History Group.

Make sure you look at the two Research Options on their website and most importantly follow the link to the GFHG Research Files Catalogue List to check for these or many more indexes and documents.

Source and/or Location of Records
Explanation of Fields
  • NAME: Name of Student
  • COMMENT: School registration number
  • REFERENCE: GRS number and ITEM number
Completed Index? YES
Number of entries Updated: 27th February 2009
  • 296 entries
More Information? View the registers at the Geelong Heritage Centre - the following details are generally included:
  • Date of Birth
  • Date of admission to this school
  • Parent or Guardian
  • Residence
  • Distance from school
  • Occupation of Parent or Guardian
  • School previously attended
  • Date of last attendance
  • Destination / School next attended
About the Lovely Banks School From Vision and Realisation, published by the Education Department of Victoria in 1973:

Head Teacher George Clayton opened SS1497 Lovely Banks on 1st of April 1875 in a leased building.  Two years later the Department erected a wooden school to accommodate 60, with four-room living quarters attached, at a cost of £450, on Lower Anakie Road, 6 miles north-west of Geelong.  The longest serving Head Teacher at the school, John Elston, taught from 1941 to 1962.  The original Departmental building was demolished, and a new building opened on the same site in October 1963.

Search Geelong & District Database

Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2020 02:49